We all get that dreaded feeling when we’re asked to be a guest at a wedding (after the excitement goes) and it’s usually over what we’re going to wear to impress everyone and feel our best. I’ve been to a fair few weddings in the past and I’ve always ended up buying a new dress each time, after going through loads of them, to find the perfect one that I feel comfortable in. There’s always a check list that I have to go through and mine is as follows:
- Comfortable enough to be in all day and not restrictive.
- Covers up any insecurities that I have about myself.
- Doesn’t need adjusting all the time or cause any wardrobe malfunctions.
- Doesn’t outshine the bride or draw attention to myself – always avoid a white dress.
- Is flattering to my body shape and shows off my figure nicely.
- Suits my personality and age – ensures I feel like myself in it.
When I find a dress that suits all of these points, I know it’s a winner. This is why I’ve teamed up with Marks & Spencer to bring you their #DressMoments campaign, highlighting their new summer dresses which are perfect for special occasions. You might not be going to a wedding, it might be a graduation, a party, an anniversary, a first date, a christening, or any event where you want to look and feel your best, however I personally chose to style this look around a guest at a wedding theme, but to be honest, I think my outfit suits most events!
I personally chose this gorgeous Marks & Spencer Floral Print Prom Slip Dress to style as I thought it was beautiful and the shape was perfect. It’s a skater style dress which hits just below the knee and it has a backless halterneck style neck, which creates a really flattering silhouette, especially for an hourglass figure. It’s lined underneath and the outside of it is a see through netted fabric with green and purple flowers printed on, which complement the navy colour base perfectly. I’m so drawn to the print on it though as I think it suits me completely and it’s ideal for Summer.
I usually tend to hide my upper arms away as I can be quite conscious of them, but with a halterneck, as the shoulders and a lot more is showing, it doesn’t just draw attention to my arms only, which is much easier for me. I have shown two ways in which you can wear this Floral Print Prom Slip Dress though in this blog post (below), just in case you prefer a bit more coverage to make you feel secure, confident, and comfortable while mingling with guests, as I know you will have to do that a lot.
If wearing the dress on its own is a bit of a worry for you as you feel conscious about your back or arms, I have styled it with a blazer over the shoulders as well. Not only is the jacket practical because it gets chillier in the evenings, but wearing it over the shoulders provides coverage for your arms, shoulders, and back, all while still showing off the silhouette of the dress from the front, which I think is the ideal way to wear it. If you are looking for a new dress for any occasion this Summer, I definitely recommend this one to you. I had to take it in size UK 10 as the 8 was too tight in the chest department. I have a 34DD bust and even though I’m not wearing a bra here, it’s still fitted in that area, but comfortable everywhere else. I feel like it’s right for my age of 28 too, and the playful clutch and floral design make it fun.
Once you have found your winning dress, I do have a few more points which you should take into consideration, and that’s for when you’re getting ready beforehand to make sure everything looks right. I always do these few things in front of a mirror to make sure it’s all good.
- Walk around in front of the mirror to make sure the dress and outfit sits well and moves well with your body. It’s always important to check it doesn’t ride up, crease up, or do anything else that might be unflattering, so move around in it a lot and check in the mirror.
- Practice sitting down and standing up a few times to ensure the dress looks ok and doesn’t cause any issues or possibly put any strain anywhere causing it to rip or tear. You’re going to be up and down a lot at a wedding, so double check that.
- You might feel silly, but make sure your dress and outfit allow you to dance. Some might be a bit restricting if you hold your arms in the air or move around like you just don’t care (ha ha!) so practice dancing in the mirror to make sure your dress allows it.
- Make sure your accessories and shoes are comfortable and match with the dress. You don’t want any clashes on the day, or extremely painful and swollen feet, which is why you need to check everything pairs well together and doesn’t cause pain before.
I don’t think I’ve missed anything out on the list, and this Floral Print Prom Slip Dress meets all of those requirements for me. It’s free to move around in without restriction, it’s comfortable, it’s long enough for not worrying about knickers being on show, it doesn’t clash with the bride, it flatters my figure, the tie neck has a fabric that grips itself so it’s not going to slip undone unless you pull it hard etc. It’s fantastic and I’m really happy that I chose this one, it’s the ideal candidate for any occasion. Plus, it works well with a blazer or jacket over the top for more coverage. You can also check out this page here on the Marks & Spencer website which features 3 women who give their own style advice too. I would love to know what you think! Leave me a comment below and tell me your thoughts and opinions on wedding style and this dress, whether you’re a fashion blogger or a regular reader.